Tuesday, September 10, 2013

the books

I would apologize for not posting in over a week, but that would imply that I actually had readers two posts in (hello? HELLO? ARE YOU OUT THERE?). Although I do apologize to myself because I wanted to start off strong and steady. But then life gets in the way and blah blah blah. It's hard guys. So I'm sorry Lucy (that's me), for being a total procrastinating bitch.

Anyway, I'm still on a back to school kick. This time it's less about the mood, the look, and the feel of fall, and more about the physical artifacts that irrefutably proved that it was back to school timethose glorious, glorious books. Textbooks with their freshly printed pages, novels with past owners' notes scribbled in the margins, deliciously bound course packets. All amazing, and sorely missed.

Except then, as I'm want to do, I thought about it some more and realized that most of the time those textbooks actually sucked. If you thought What is Japanese Architecture? was going to be an interesting exploration of the philosophies of Japanese architecture and not a brutally detailed description of timber-frame construction techniques you'd be WRONG. And I'm sorry, but Introduction to the Practice of Statistics is a horribly misleading title for a book that really should have just been called This is Targeted at Beginners, But You're Stupid and Horrible at Math, So You'll Never, Ever Understand This Thing We Call the Practice of Statistics.

But now I'm an "adult" and I can do what I want, when I want. So here's my back to school reading list for grown-up me. As the office manager/executive assistant of a graphic design studio, these are the design (and general life) 101 books I'm itching to get. They look good, sound good, and are about to blow my real world paycheck. Student discounts be damned.


No comments:

Post a Comment